Sunday, October 3, 2010

what's in a name?

To keep myself busy here in the Cleve I have started a little babysitting/cleaning business. Our ward has almost 100 children in it right now and about that many adults too. It's awesome. I've never been in a louder sacrament meeting before and strangely enough I don't mind the noise.

I've been surrounded by kids almost every day of my life here and that, my friends, will get anyone to think about having (or not having) babies.

Andrew and I have already chosen our kid's names. Everytime I tell someone what we are going to name our first boy I get this response, "Really? He better be prepared to be teased." And to them I say, "If he can hack it in our household, nothing will phase him." My kids better learn how to deal with teasing real quick with a dad like theirs.

Andrew is very similar to his dad and has inherited his ability to tease. To explain how much they tease in the Webb household I have exhibit A:

Andrew, a bright eyed 16 year old, is getting ready for one of his first girl choice dances. He is going with the babe of Olympus High and can't be happier. He has his outfit all planned out, showered and is looking fine with his puka shell necklace and skate shoes. Andrew hears the doorbell ring and someone answers the door. His mom calls for him and he takes one last look in the mirror before he heads down to see his lady. By then the rest of his family has congregated to meet this girl and as Andrew comes down the stairs his dad takes one look at him and says, in front of everyone,

"What's going on? You got bees in your room?" (refering to Andrew's teenage acne)

Yes my friends, that really did happen. And the great thing is, Andrew laughed it off as best he could. I'm sure our kids when they reach that precious hormonally challanged age will have similar experiences that one day, when the pain is gone and therapy has prevailed, they will relate to their own children.

We have decided to do significant historical figures mostly for first names and family names for middle names.

So Parley Dennis will be our first boy. After Parley P. Pratt, a Mormon historical and religious figure. Andrew has made me promise to read Parley P. Pratt's autobiography while I am pregnant with little Parley. And Dennis after Andrew's dad, of course.

Since Andrew chose the first boy name I have chosen the first girl name: Siena Victoria.
Siena after the Tuscan city (this one doesn't quite fit the requirements but I do what I want) and Victoria for my mom.

Those two are pretty much set names, the rest are all up in the air but the middle names are for sures.

Sawyer Anthony: for Tom Sawyer, the all American boy, and Anthony after my dad and his father.
Quincy after Quincy Adams, John Adams' son.
Andrew also likes cowboys names like Wyatt, Chick Boudry, Louie Lamore or Montana but I do have my limits.
Holland Martsie: After Jeffrey R. Holland, the LDS apostle, and Martsie after Andrew's mom.
Eve after Eve.

Why am I telling you all of this?
Because Andrew is studying for midterms, wish him luck!
Plus, I love names and I love knowing where they come from.

I was named after my dad's mom, Crystal, and my mom's great aunt, Rose, and I love it!

Where does your name or your spouse's/children's names come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment